Sunday, September 20, 2009

Saratoga Springs Stake Conference

I just thought I would give a few of my thoughts about our Stake Conference for all of you who were not able to make it. For those of you in the area I hope that you will add something also. I would also love to read some of the things from those of you not in our stake, Mike, Rich, Tericia & all of Tericia's adult Children.

I love the Saturday night adult session. There was a great controversy because it was right in the middle of the BYU game. When I told Mike that BYU would probably loose if he didn't go little did I understand the real blessing. It was that he didn't have to sit through one of the most frustrating and heartbreaking loses that BYU has had. If you saw the score or watched the game you understand that BYU unfortunately doesn't win because we attend our church meetings. Also it was a fantastic meeting. President Dortch gave one of the best talks that I have ever heard. He spoke on "Self Esteem" and how stupid a concept that it is. He read in the scriptures about the "nothingness of man." If you know the exact scripture would you please let me know. How we are all zero's. That we are only of worth if we attach ourselves to the one. That makes us a 10 and when we marry and attach our other zero that makes us a 100 ad so on. I loved it!

President Server showed footage of the documentary about the LDS man that was on the 80th floor of one of the Twin Towers when it was hit 8 years ago on 9/11. I loved that the lesson that he learned was that it is not about commuting 2 hours each way so that he could provide the best of everything for his family. I loved that the lesson he learned was that the only thing that was important was his family. Here is the link to the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtx82FRsaQA. It was awesome.

President Wilkinson's talk was about "The Father" was so profound. I love to hear him bear witness of his love of our Heavenly Father. He was so emotional about how much our Heavenly Father loves us that I too felt his love. When we left the meeting on Saturday night and found out how badly BYU got beat Mike was so glad that he didn't have to watch it after all. See there are blessings in going to Stake Conference that we don't even know we need.

The people that bore their testimonies on the spot absoulutely amazed me! I can't imagine being called up to bear my testimony in Stake Conference. They were beautiful and touching.

Sunday was also very good. I really loved hearing from the youth speakers. One of them was an Eagle Scout that is the Student Body President at Willowcreek Middle School and the other was a friend of Katie's Janalyn Laciente. They spoke on making choices. I think that there are some youth that have everything handed to them and feel like that they are owed something and it was nice to hear from such humble and good kids that are trying to do things that their Heavenly Father would have them do.

I think that the most touching talk was the one that Sharon Mardisech gave. She was released as Stake Young Women's President. Sharon is a softer and kinder person then when I first met her. It has been so beautiful to me to see the spirit at work in her life. She is my hero. I really have such a respect for her willingness to do what her Heavenly Father has asked her to do. Even send her child to Him, forgive others and be a force for good in other people's lives. Thanks for that Sharon!

I would love to hear what you loved about Stake Conference in your area or from your point of view.

I love you all and loved seeing so many of my family members there. I think of you often and you are in my prayers always-

Love,
Karen

1 comment:

Grandpa and Grandma Higbee said...

Karen, I too was deeply impressed with State Conference. I did not attend Saturday night but I have heard it was wonderful. Sunday the talks were absolutely powerful and deeply meaningful. President Wilkinsons talk was not only powerful but it was extremely insightful. We are blessed to have he and his counselors giving leadership to our stake. Thank you for your comments and for doing the right thing by attending Saturday ewvening.

I love and appreciate you and your goodness.

Love Dad